On the pogrom night of November 9, non-Jewish Halberstadt residents desecrated the baroque synagogue, but did not set it on fire. The danger of the surrounding half-timbered houses catching fire was too great. Instead, the mayor of Halberstadt issued an order to demolish the synagogue on November 19, 1938. This began immediately and was completed in the spring of 1939. To this day, the whereabouts of the synagogue’s elaborate furnishings have not been clarified.
The Klaus remained untouched as a building. It lost its purpose and became a Jewish house.
On April 12, 1942, the so-called “able-bodied” Jews were deported from Halberstadt Cathedral Square. Via Magdeburg, 101 men, women and children were transported to the Warsaw ghetto. Their traces are lost there.
On November 23, 1942, the residents of the Jewish homes Jewish old people’s home, Wilhelmstr. 14 and Westendorf Jewish school 15 deported to the Theresienstadt concentration camp. The death notices from Theresienstadt document that all the deportees were killed.